17.8.14

Normcore


Like postmodernist, self-conscious metafictional writing that tries its best to move away from the conventional story, the Normcore clothing ‘trend’ is somewhat similar. The ‘trend’ moves away from the conventional idea of fashion trends and peacocking by deliberately wearing basic unassuming pieces. It’s a ‘non-trend’ that tries to avoid pretension- a move from 90s grunge to basic normality- the deliberate pursuit of the ordinary.


To me this is reminiscent of my Dad in the late nineties always pairing jeans with a white tucked in T-shirt, a black belt and trainers. Which, in all honesty, is exactly what he wears now- who knew Mr. D was so stylish? He mixes it up a bit in the winter by wearing fleeces- something else in the approved list of clothing that constitutes as Normcore. I might start calling it Dadcore.


Personally, I do live in a pair of denim cut offs that were once my Mums, and would definitely wear them with a plain top- but not in the deliberate avoidance of trends. I would also have to throw something garishly over-embellished on top. I don’t think I could stand a vague array of basic greys, whites, blues and blacks staring back at me from my wardrobe, or, (snob warning) feeling so damn average! My personal clothing thrills come from seeking stand out one-of-a-kind pieces that I know no one else will have- the opposite of the desire to blend into the crowd.



Normcore is supposed to be a symbol of anonymity, and the slightly fluffy notion that ‘difference comes from within’ and that difference should not have to be translated through clothing- I’m not convinced. Will this really catch on? Since (pretty much) the dawn of time people have used clothing to convey difference and to denote subcultures. There’s a reason ‘Highschool Stereotypes’ is a fancy dress theme. 


No comments:

Post a Comment